Monday 13 February 2012

The Value of One Life


I haven't paid much mind to the death of Singer and long time drug addict, Whitney Houston, nor do I plan on it after this post.
This photo, which has been swimming around Facebook, made me think about what we as a society consider a valuable life. 
I am in no way diminishing the value of one person’s life over another, but this and the similar Steve Jobs photo are true reflections on how we as a society place the value of one life above the lives of millions.
Ms. Houston defiled and destroyed her own life through the chosen abuse of drugs and alcohol, but it was her life and she lived it how she saw fit, and I won't judge her for that.  But, I also won't mourn her.
  A lot of people cry out at the deaths of Whitney Houston and Steve Jobs, but stay silent when the less fortunate in our own community come around asking for food, shelter or warmth.  It's like we've been trained to find annoyance in those who actually are suffering, but to take pity on people because they acted in a movie or sang an iconic song. 
I am not claiming to be a humanitarian, nor am I saying that I've never paid attention to the deaths of celebrities.  I mean, it's hard not to be a little curious when it's already being shoved down our throats by tweets, Facebook updates and some news channels. We all need to take a step back and consider who we give our undivided attention to.  Did anyone who wasn't a fan, friend or family member REALLY care about Whitney before her death?  No, this is the most she's ever been on screen since The Bodyguard. 
When we live in a world where a drug addicted woman's life and death has more meaning than those who have suffered only because of the hand fate has dealt them, there's an issue.

Let us, as a collective society, try to do our best to place our energy and attention where it's needed.  More PEOPLE less celebrity.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Amazing point and I am completely with you. It is very sad how we have been programmed by society to mourn our celebrities and not the unnamed millions who suffer and have no chance.

    I still remember when Michael Jackson died, people I knew CRIED, and I was astonished. You didn't know the celeb (not that they shouldn't be mourned) and you are only sad because they were famous.

    I mourn those who don't have a chance and the lives they live are sad, painful and short. Whitney lived her life well enough for millions of their lifetimes.

    A.

    ReplyDelete