Friday 10 February 2012

Procrastination and Inspiration


 When I’m heading into a solo project for school I feel more pressure to start and finish early because of the evil little monster that lives inside all of us named procrastination.  It is honestly a huge problem for me, because I like to live in the present.  I don’t want to think about deadlines and I know when I start working on whatever project it is that I’ve been assigned, I’ll think about it until its finally finished.  It’s so easy to become distracted, though.  Facebook is literally 3 clicks of a button away. 
It’s to be expected that when there’s a daunting task looming over someone, there will be a nagging pressure to pick up the remote or pull up YouTube, just for five minutes.  Then five minutes turns into half an hour, half an hour turns into half an afternoon and so on.   I tell myself I’ll do it tomorrow, but tomorrow turns into next week.   Perhaps it’s the work that I am doing; inspiration plays a big role in my initiative and drive to finish something that I’ve started. 
Inspiration has a lot to do with this procrastination problem.  I find myself taking initiative to start and finish personal projects like paintings or sketches without problems because I have the inspiration at the time.  If I don’t have inspiration, I find I can hardly even start a painting or sketch. 
If we can figure out how to inspire ourselves about tasks that we may not enjoy very much, then I think the procrastination epidemic would back off a bit.  Sometimes it will be hard to find inspiration in something completely dull, but it’s worth a try.  You have to expect that there will be tasks that come along in your life that will be arduous or dull, but if you make the most out of them at least you’ll get it out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment