Thursday 2 February 2012

Official 2012 Honda CR-V Game Day Commercial is Trollerific

I'm a fan of a couple of local radio stations on Facebook and I recently came across a 10 second teaser ad that 98.9 The Drive had posted.  The ad featured Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller, the popular character he played in the 1986 movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The short clip here features a greying Ferris eluding to playing hooky from work.

This 10 second clip was enough to convince the first of the viewers of a sequel to this 80's classic.  Most of the early viewers left comments expressing their excitement at the thought of a second Ferris Bueller adventure.

 I was kind of excited myself, Ferris Bueller's Day Off was an excellent 80's movie and I want to see an old Ferris doing the same crazy thing.  However, a week later, I stumbled upon the full length 2.5 minute video, and it wasn't what I expected.
                                                                                                                                          

It was disappointing for most, to say the least. 

The people at Honda are the ultimate Ferris Bueller 2 trolls*.  It was like looking for that music video for that really weird or old song you like that just does not seem to exist on Youtube; then when you do find it you get Rickroll'd*.  The video did received nearly 9 million views and a good like to dislike ratio on the rate bar.  However, most of the comments are either people who are mad about being tricked into watching a Honda ad, people who are bashing the idea of a Ferris Bueller sequel anyway or the select few who are still confused on the whole, no sequel at all thing.  I was actually impressed that Honda thought to bring such an iconic movie back for Game Day and I also thought that the commercial itself was really entertaining, but do the YouTube comments and reactions really count when it comes to response to the ad?  I think in a way, people can be swayed by what others have to say, even if it's only on YouTube. 


*Troll - An internet savvy person who enjoys evoking emotional responses from people on forums.  In this case Honda troll'd the audience by making them believe they were about to watch something they really wanted to see, but then showed something completely different. 

*Rickroll'd - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ










1 comment:

  1. Megan I really enjoyed reading your post. I believe that I a way the comment section on YouTube is like having a review section on your company website. I think that others are going to take the comments into consideration and it may change their entire opinion on a company based on what the comments say.

    ReplyDelete